slide show

May 31, 2012

A Self Portrait Venture

I recently grabbed my camera on a Saturday afternoon and decided to challenge myself and take some casual/comfortable self portraits.  I've included a few of the images below for you to see.  In the past, I’ve always done it with a point and shoot camera because it’s easier, {…just sayin’} but this time I wanted use my Canon 5D MarkII.  I learned quite a bit, but enjoyed the challenge of understanding how to the hold the camera, where was the best place to shoot in my apartment, and how to achieve different shots/angles.  So…I thought I would share a few tips with you based on my experience and encourage you to try it out!  Now, I’ll preface upfront that I took several with the camera held in front of my face, but because it was the first time with my MarkII and is much heavier than a point and shoot…I had little expectations and wasn’t sure I would like any of the images.  {grin} 
 

5 Basic Tips to Capture Your Own Self Portrait:

1)  Determine a location that has sufficient light.
I captured my images by the French door leading to the deck off my apartment. The lighting was AMAZING!! Window light is ideal, but if you have a room that overall good light…try it out and see.

2)  Use a reflective surface.
I used an over the door mirror. Reflective surfaces offer a lot of variety based on your creativity. Just remember to look at the camera in the mirror and do not use a flash. {smiles} I didn’t look at the camera for some of my images and LOVED them….so keep that in mind as well. Think creative.

3)  Hold the camera at various distances.
In these images, I wasn’t even holding the camera at arm’s length, but I think that you have to find the distance that works for you and is comfortable. Holding the camera closer to you will capture more expression and details and you may find you like that more.

4) Take several shots.
You are your worst critic, so keep shooting until you find the perfect shot…or maybe you’ll capture several!  The key is to be patient with yourself and with your camera.

5) Challenge yourself.
If you want to capture self portraits regularly…try different things like lighting, posing, locations, and angles. Trust me…the sky is the limit!! I know some ladies that have done the 365 self portrait challenges where you take a picture of yourself every day. Now that is a challenge!!

These tips are basic, I know…but sometimes it helps to have pointers when wanting to try something out. It took me awhile to figure out how to hold the camera and what distances I liked and worked best. I also found that I was trying too hard at times and my expressions were “fake” {trust me…if you saw all the shots, you’d have a good laugh}. Good Luck! I would love to hear any pointers you may have. Here’s to capturing an AMAZING self portrait!!

2 comments:

 
 
Custom blog design by Blogger Boutique.